Australian Fish Names Standard® AS SSA 5300
The Australian Fish Names Standard AS SSA 5300:
- prescribes a standard fish name for each species of fish produced or trade in Australia
- includes over 4,000 Australian and imported species
- was approved by Standards Australia as an official Australian Standard in 2007
- was developed the Australian Fish Names Committee.
Our searchable online Standard Fish Names Database includes all species listed in the Standard.
The Standard specifies that:
- fish sold to consumers (eg, retail sales and restaurants) must be identified by their standard fish name
- fish sold other than directly to consumers (eg, wholesale, export, import) must be identified by their standard fish name or scientific name.
- accuracy of trade descriptors and labelling
- public and consumer confidence
- efficiency in seafood marketing
- effective fisheries monitoring and management
- sustainability of fisheries resources
- effective traceability and food safety management
- industry viability and profitability
The Australian Fish Names Committee is established under Seafood Services Australia, an accredited Standards Development Organisation. The committee assigns of standard fish names in accordance with transparent and rigorous procedures. Fish Names Committee members are appointed by the SSA Board which must ensure that the committee possesses appropriate skills and knowledge.